Sunday, December 12, 2010

To Metaphor or not to Metaphor

 “I find people confusing.  This is for two main reasons…the second main reason is that people often talk using metaphors…I think it should be called a lie” (page 15).

It is interesting to me that this is said by Christopher within the novel since much of the literary criticism towards “the curious incident of the dog in the night-time” is directed at its lack of descriptive language—Christopher directly answers that by calling metaphoric language a lie.  The novel, in many parts, reads like a textbook due to the manner of speaking that Christopher is prone to using.  When it comes to this topic I agree with the article found here: http://www.jstor.org/pss/30047100

The very impact of the work seems to lie in its lack of descriptive language.  It took me a while to get used to the unique style the work was written it but ultimately allowed me to enjoy the novel more than most.  Additionally, it ties in well with this theme that I have noticed where the emotional aspect of humans is what makes them complex.  By breaking down the language that is used to the sheer necessities, Haddon makes the plot feel real but also perceptively different from what most consider the norm.  It displays the more systematic nature of humans; almost what one would associate with the “Id”.  



No comments:

Post a Comment