Monday, December 13, 2010

The Concluding Sentence

As a result of this quote, I sometimes wish that I could live a life free of some of the wide range of emotions that I am lucky to have:

“And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Wellington? And I found my mother and I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything” (page 221).


Since Christopher doesn’t get caught up in all of the everyday drama that surrounds him he is content with a lot of the smaller steps that he manages to make.  Despite his inability to accurately portray love or anguish Christopher still has the ability to feel proud of what he has accomplished.   In this way he contains just as much of the innate human “aliveness” as anyone else, he just focuses in on it in very different ways.  That is what makes us complex.  The feelings that we let affect us, and that shape the ontological view of our own lives, is ultimately what determines the way we live, interact, etc.  So while humans are machines of sorts, they are all programmed in extremely different ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment