Monday, December 13, 2010

Memory




“I don’t know what happened then because there is a gap in my memory, like a bit of the tape had been erased” (page 113). 

Memory really is like a bit of tape.  It is interesting that we all find our memories to be so reliable, as if they are definite and can in no way be altered.  In arguments I often find myself using the logic that I am right because I remember it happening that way—however, who’s to say that is a compelling argument at all?  This novel has made me wonder if I would be more content with the way my memory currently functions or if I would rather have it be encyclopedia-esque like Christopher’s memories.  There are times when both serve a positive purpose: my manner of remembering is good for nostalgia’s sake yet Christopher’s serves very practical purposes. 

This focus on memory brings to mind the eerie thought that humanity does not in fact know anything for sure.  Where does one place their confidence if there is no way of being sure of things?  This book is continuously revealing deeper questions to me that one does not normally think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment